Are you having trouble maintaining your furniture pieces? If you are worried about spills or stains damaging your furniture, we have you covered!
Quality furniture is a significant investment expected to last for a very long time. In order to maintain its beauty and increase longevity, each piece needs the right care. Different materials require different types of maintenance. Here at Nordik Living, pieces are built to last with longevity kept in mind, all of our pieces are carefully crafted and whilst each piece is delicate, minimal care is required if maintained correctly.
Below is a simple guide to care for your Nordik Living. Please note maintenance instructions vary depending on materials used.
Solid American Oak
American Oak is a robust hardwood and provides structural strength to our furniture. Some of our pieces made from solid American Oak include the Georg dining table, Stockholm dining table and our Agnes coffee table set.
Oak is known for its natural imperfections and unique rustic graining, colour and knots, which gives it character. These are true indications of solid timber. To give the best care to our American oak furniture, ensure you do the following;
- Dust the furniture with a soft microfibre cloth frequently. When dusting or cleaning always clean along the wood's grain in order to avoid scratches. Use a soft table brush to remove any residue within the grains.
- If the oak is waxed, apply unscented clear wax once or twice a year to maintain the lustre of the finish. Remember to dust before polishing as you don't want to rub any dust further into the surface of the timber.
- With any deep scratches or marks, lightly sand the area down and apply orange oil to bring the colour of the oak to life. Allow to dry overnight.
- Avoid using chemicals to clean the table, always use warm water and buff immediately with a soft dry cloth to avoid water marks.
- Make sure you blot up spills as soon as possible with a soft, slightly damp cloth. Also dry the furniture thoroughly after cleaning.
- Use coasters or placemats with non-scratching bottoms to protect your solid American Oak furniture. With any accessories with hard surfaces, attach fabric stoppers underneath to avoid any scratches or marks.
- Try not to expose your furniture to extreme temperatures, excessive humidity or heat. If your solid oak furniture is exposed to the sun, always draw the blinds/ curtains or shutters when not in use.
Many people mistake oak veneer to be low quality and not long lasting. This is not the case! Oak veneer is typically made of a thin layer of natural hardwood. It is bonded to a stable composite base material that makes it very stable. We use oak veneer on our Oslo TV unit, Wynter unit and the Felix bedside table to give them a consistent and refined finish. They are all found at our online Scandinavian furniture store.
When it comes to caring for veneer furniture, ensure you do the following:
- Avoid exposing it to direct sunlight over long periods of time. This may cause fading to the colour of your furniture. When your oak furniture is not in use, always draw the blinds/ curtains down to avoid direct sunlight.
- If you spill any liquid on your furniture, make sure you blot the spills as soon as possible. Liquids can seep through the veneer.
- Use a heat proof mat or coaster when placing something hot on the surface of the wood to protect it from excess heat.
Depending on the type of fabric, upholstered furniture may require varying levels of maintenance and care. Some of our fabrics are sourced from Holland, Italy and Netherlands. Our most popular soft seating furniture upholstered at Nordik Living include the Arabella armchair in dusty blue and Ash Grey, the Arlo sofas and our Bergen chaise.
Here are some tips to help you care for these products.
- Treating our upholstery sofas and chairs with a fabric protection spray will help prevent staining. We recommend scotch garding the fabric before initial use. Spray the entire upholstered area, leave for 1-2 days to dry. Be sure to cover any timber or metal legs/frames when scotchgarding. Nordik offers this service, enquire for further details.
- Ensure you blot spills immediately with a soft, slightly damp cloth. Don’t rub the spill because it will only push the liquid into the fabric, making it more likely to stain.
- Make sure you vacuum the upholstery gently.
- Use only gentle cleaners designed for fabric upholstery. Remember to spot test a new cleaning product in a small area to ensure it doesn’t discolour. We recommend using a Bissell machine to remove stains or spills, then air drying the furniture overnight.
Concrete’s minimal, bold and versatile industrial look makes it one of the most on-trend long standing designs of today. Its natural aesthetic, beauty and feeling of rawness of concrete gives an impression like nothing else. It's a hard wearing material which makes it extremely durable and low maintenance. Concrete is a mix of natural materials therefore slight variations in colour, texture and finish are inevitable. Each piece is unique to its own and carries its own special characteristics.
Our top selling Concrete furniture At Nordik Living includes Aksel dining tables, Bergen dining tables and Aksel coffee tables. Majority of our concrete pieces are made for outdoors so they require very little maintenance. They are finished with a water-based acrylic sealant which protects the table and makes it waterproof.
Follow the below tips to care for your concrete furniture:
- Blot spills immediately using warm water and a soft cloth.
- Use placemats for any tableware with hard surfaces.
- We don't recommend using any harsh sprays or chemicals to clean the concrete tops.
- Avoid using caustic acids to clean or resurface concrete furniture.